Fox River Trail
Click here to view a map of this trail
The trail is used for hiking, biking, cross-country skiing and jogging and stretches from Algonquin to Aurora.
Fox River Shores
A 195-acre forest preserve along the Fox River features hillsides lined with springs and seeps that have formed rich fens.
This 57-acre forest preserve is characterized by the gravel-sand bottomed Tyler Creek and its flood plain with Oak-Hickory forest on the steep slopes.
Features a 2000' shoreline with excellent fishing opportunities. This 15-acre preserve is a popular summer spot because of the boat launch.
Tekakwitha Woods is a 65-acre forest preserve at the "Big Bend" of the Fox River featuring many hiking trails and a Nature Center. The center has interactive exhibits highlighting the natural and cultural history of Kane County. Public programs and guided hikes are offered for all ages. Call 847 741-8350 for additional information.
Fabyan Forest Preserve
This forest preserve located on the east and west banks of the Fox River is the former estate of Col. George and Nelle Fabyan. The Villa, now a museum, houses unique natural and oriental artifacts from the collection that once belonged to Colonel Fabyan.
Below the Villa lies the Japanese Garden with its recently renovated plantings, pool, bridges and restored structures. The 68-foot windmill was built in the 1850's in York Center (Elmhurst) by two German craftsmen. Col. Fabyan bought the windmill in 1914 and moved it to its present site where it was used to mill flour for bread for the estate during World War I. It was featured on a U.S. postage stamp series in 1979. Call 630 232-2631 for information.
Les Arends || Glenwood Park
These two forest preserves are on opposite sides of the river, lying just below an old broken dam that creates a series of rapids and riffles making this a great spot for fishing and canoeing. Les Arends is an attractive family spot, intermixing nature, history and recreational activities.
Durant Peterson House || Pioneer Sholes School
The Durant-Peterson House, a prairie homestead, was first settled by Bryant and Jerusha Durant in 1843, and later the Peterson family. Early prairie farm life is depicted through demonstrations and reenactments, sponsored by the Preservation Partners of the Fox Valley, on Sunday afternoons during the summer. The authentically restored 1870's one room school house is open to the public Sunday afternoons during the summer. Many local schools use it during the spring and fall by those wanting to relive a school day as it was 100 years ago. Call the Preservation Partners at (630) 377-6424 for information.